Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This blogging business

I've never been so aware of how much people construct themselves in the best possible light for common consumption as I have while recently reading a fellow traveler's blog. No details here, but it's important to note how much point of view matters when you present information; attitude can mask fact. It's also important to remember how while writing we are all forever -- in one way or the other -- crafting ourselves into characters and that when it come to divorce, mayhem, childraising etc. there is no Right Side.

Only, as Stephen Colbert might say, a kind of truthiness.

On the other hand, (take the recent Christie Brinkley fisasco) maybe sometimes there is a Right Side

Here at home, Number 2 shocked everyone at dinner on Sunday night by saying that he was amazed by genetics and fascinated how little biological material can influence so much. This is after working at the biology lab for a week and a half -- imagine how his own attitude towards science (which has been very negative) might shift by the end of the summer. (!) Even as he's recognizing the power of genes, conservative columnist David Brooks
writes how they may matter less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thought - crafting ourselves into characters as we blog. Who is the me that is me? I asked myself that question on my recent post. And let me see? Yes, my train of thought was inspired by ... you!