Saturday, July 05, 2008

Nothing New Under the Clouds

What I've learned from my children:
1. You can be smarter than your teachers
2. Don't always say what you're thinking
3. Getting along with people involves time
4. The value of doing nothing: i.e. hanging out
5. There are no 'second string' friends -- only friends.


Something about having a table of boys hunched over scrambled eggs and Canadian bacon (is this really bacon? It doesn't look like bacon) makes me very happy. I like watching them -- gawky, slightly bristly (everyone is practicing with facial hair this summer), and smelling of too much Old Spice sports scented deodorant.

I like how they forget to take their plates to the dishwasher, stare into space, cook while checking their cellphones.
I like how they debate how to make omlettes and whether a 41-year old mom who is qualifying for the Olympics is on steroids...
I like how they shake one another's hands when they say good-bye.
I like how if you look very closely, you can see the sorts of men they might become..

No comments: